Two Lands of Milk and Honey - another satisfying recipe from the cook book:
This one is a favourite recipe of my students and clients. It is easy, light, and you can use different types of cheese for the filling. You can easily prepare it to the stage before baking, and then freeze it while placing in a plastic box with baking paper between the layers. So then, when you have surprise guests arriving, just heat the oven and bake from frozen - easy !
Makes: about 20 small parcels
Spinach - 600g, fresh or frozen Spring onions - 3 Parsley - 3 tablespoons, chopped Dill - 1 teaspoon, chopped Feta cheese - 200g, sheep, cows or goat Eggs - 2 Filo pastry - 5 sheets, cut into small size, even squares Olive oil or melted butter for brushing - ½ to 1 cup Optional: Baharat spice - 1 teaspoon White or black (or mix) sesame seeds - 2 teaspoons for sprinkle
1. Steam the spinach leaves with some water (don’t add water if using frozen spinach) until the leaves feel soft and dry
2. Squeeze and drain excess liquid, then cool down
3. Mix the spinach leaves with the chopped spring onions, parsley and dill
4. Crumb the cheese with your hands and add to the spinach mix
5. Mix the eggs in a separate bowl and add it to the mix
6. Add a bit of salt, pepper and Baharat spice
1. Heat the oven to 200℃.
2. Cut the filo pastry into small squares
3. Place 1-2 teaspoons of the filling in each square, and fold the sides, brush with olive oil and then complete the folds into a small parcel. Brush again with olive oil
4. Repeat steps 2-3 with the rest of the pastry and filling
5. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool for a bit
Serve with a big portion of Greek or Israeli salad, and some olives!